Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire at an industrial park on Kenninghall Road in Edmonton.
A conveyor belt inside a single-storey industrial unit used for recycling waste metal was destroyed by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.
The cause of the fire was accidental. The conveyor belt overheated.
Sub Officer Tom Castle, who was at the scene, said:
“The operators of the recycling plant undertook a prompt evacuation of the building before we arrived, following the emergency procedures they had in place to keep everyone safe.”
The Brigade was called at just before 3pm and the fire was under control by just after 4pm.
Fire crews from Edmonton, Tottenham and Walthamstow fire stations attended the scene.