Breaking Hackney LONDON

A man who stabbed man four times leaving him in an induced coma for several weeks has been jailed

Screenshot 2020 07 07 at 19.24.02
Screenshot 2020 07 07 at 19.24.02

A man who stabbed another man four times leaving him in an induced coma for several weeks has been jailed.

Duclant Tampawo, 30, of Lansdowne, Hackney, had previously pleaded guilty to section 18 Grievous Bodily Harm at the Old Bailey on Monday, 3 February.

He was sentenced to 14 years and one month, including a three-year extended licence, on Tuesday, 7 July at the same court. 

Detective Constable Ben Stone, who led the investigation said: “Tampawo carried out a brutal attack, stabbing the victim multiple times which caused significant internal damage, and left him bleeding on the ground.

“He has never explained the reasons for this assault which left the victim in a critical condition and requiring extensive hospital treatment for a number of months.

“He is clearly a dangerous offender and we are pleased he is now behind bars.”

The court heard that at around 03:15hrs on 24 March 2019, police were called to reports of a man with multiple stab wounds on Lower Clapton Road in Hackney.

The victim, a 49-year-old man, told emergency services that he had been attacked in nearby Ashanti Mews, a small alleyway bordering a churchyard.

He quickly lost consciousness and was taken to hospital in a critical condition. After undergoing a number of operations, he was placed into an induced coma for several weeks.

Officers from Central East CID launched an investigation and immediately found a red bag in the alleyway which contained a bloodied black knife.

CCTV recovered from the location showed Tampawo cycling along the footpath on Mare Street at around 03:05hrs, before chaining up his bike.

He then walked along Narrow Way where he approached the victim sitting on a bench and engaged him in conversation, beckoning him to follow him. The pair then walk right onto Lower Clapton Road towards the entrance of Ashanti Mews.

While CCTV did not show the entrance to the alleyway, around 90 seconds later Tampawo was seen running back along Lower Clapton Road.

He was later seen on camera close to a hostel on Lansdowne Drive.

On 27 March 2019, when police attended the hostel to view their CCTV, Tampawo was identified as entering the hostel at around 3.30am  on the day of the attack.

While officers were still at the venue, Tampawo returned to the building and was immediately arrested. He was charged with attempted murder and remanded in custody.

Have a story for us

If you have a news story that you think we should know about, then please do not hesitate and get in contact with us. Email:

About Us

London 999