As a result of an investigation by the Met’s Flying Squad, Ky Ellis, 42, , of no fixed abode appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday, 15 October where he was sentenced for the following offences.
– the armed robbery of a bookmakers in Brentwood, Essex on 6 December 2018;
– the armed robbery of a petrol station in Brentwood, Essex on 16 December 2018;
– the armed robbery of a bookmakers in Stratford on 28 January 2019;
– the armed robbery of a commercial premises in Canvey Island, Essex on 21 February 2019;
– two thefts – one at a perfume shop in Stratford on 27 January 2019 where two bottles of fragrance were stolen; the second at a pub in Forest Lane, E7 on 30 January 2019 where cash was taken;
– seven shoplifting offences committed across the Essex area between 3 and 18 December 2018.
Ellis was sentenced to a total of ten years’ imprisonment.
He had earlier pleaded guilty to all the offences.
During the robbery offences, Ellis armed himself with either a firearm or a knife and threatened staff before making off with cash. No one was injured during the robberies.
Detective Constable Stefen Rule, investigating for the Met, said: “Ellis is an extremely dangerous offender who has a long history of criminality and committing armed robberies. Thankfully, no one was injured during his spree, but the number of people affected by his actions can only be guessed at.
“Our colleagues in Essex Police worked tirelessly with us to ensure this dangerous man was caught and he will now spend a significant amount of time behind bars.”