Bow Breaking LONDON

Firefighters were called to a boat fire on Anderson Square in Bromley By Bow

A moored narrowboat was destroyed by fire. Two men left the boat before the Brigade arrived. One man was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

The Brigade was called at 11.44pm and the fire was under control by 12.45am. Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Poplar, Stratford and Bethnal Green fire stations attended the scene.

The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers took nine calls to the blaze.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a barbecue.

Leading Firefirefighter Khan said: “Crews arrived at the scene to find a boat along the canal which was completely alight.

“Two men had left the boat before we arrived and crews worked quickly to bring the fire under control.

“It’s really important that you always place barbecues on level ground, far away from anything that can easily catch fire.

“Always make sure barbecues are not left unattended and check they are completely out when you have finished as they can stay hot for a long time.

“Never burn dangerous items, like aerosol cans, paint tins, batteries or anything else that adds fuel to a fire.”

Barbecue safety tips
Never use a BBQ – including disposables – indoors or on your balcony
Be careful where you position your BBQ – we suggest on level ground, well away from anything flammable like sheds, fences, trees or tents.
Don’t use petrol, paraffin or any flammable liquids on your BBQ – firelighters are a much safer option.
Carefully supervise children.
Be pet-aware – animals can cause accidents getting under your feet. To be really safe, keep them indoors, or at least out of the immediate vicinity of the BBQ.
Never use a barbecue indoors or in an unventilated space as there is a real risk of creating poisonous carbon monoxide gas.

Have a story for us

If you have a news story that you think we should know about, then please do not hesitate and get in contact with us. Email: news@London999.co.uk

About Us

London 999