Breaking LONDON

Man jailed for 24 years over Newham stabbing

A man has been sentenced for killing a man with a baseball bat.
Emdadul Islam, 23 of Fowler Road, E7, was sentenced at the Old Bailey on Tuesday, 1 May to 14 years in prison.
He had been found guilty of the manslaughter of 31-year-old Titu Miah on Wednesday, 25 April, following a trial at the same court.
He had pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon at the start of the trial and was sentenced to 24 months for this offence, to run concurrently.
Mr Miah suffered a fatal head injury after being hit over the head with a bat during a fight involving a number of people on Plashet Road in Newham in October 2017, during which a 16-year-old boy was also wounded.
A second man – Yasin Patel, 21 (27.06.96) of Queens Road West, E13 – had denied grievous bodily harm with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon in relation to the stabbing, but pleaded guilty on the first day of the trial.
Patel will be sentenced on Thursday, 3 May.
Police were called just before 15:30hrs on 12 October 2017 to Plashet Road to reports of a disturbance and a male stabbed.
Officers attended with the London Ambulance Service. A 16-year-old boy was found at the scene with a stab wound to his leg and chest. He was taken to an east London hospital for treatment.
He was later discharged from hospital and was subsequently arrested for his involvement in the incident. He was later released with no further action to be taken.
At around 16:00hrs that afternoon, police were alerted to a 31-year-old man suffering a head injury who had attended an east London hospital. He died in hospital five days after the incident, on 17 October 2017.
The victim was later identified as 31-year-old Titu Miah, from Plaistow. He had suffered a fractured skull, and a post-mortem examination gave cause of death as a head injury.
The court heard that the 16-year-old stabbing victim was in Plashet Road with a group of friends when a Mercedes – containing Titu and his stepson Patel – pulled into the road and stopped. Titu got out and the group ran in different directions.
The 16-year-old victim was chased and stabbed multiple times in his left leg and chest by Patel. Mr Miah also assaulted him whilst he was on the ground.
As Titu and Yasin Patel stood in Plashet Road, Islam – who was in a barbers shop getting his hair cut – retrieved a baseball bat from the boot of his car, approached Mr Miah from behind and struck him over the back of the head, hitting him again whilst he was on the ground.
Emdadul Islam drove away from the scene after the attack but returned to the barbers shop a short time later – with police and paramedics now on scene tending to the injured teenage boy.

Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an investigation.
CCTV footage was analysed, and captured Islam arriving at the scene in his BMW and visiting the barbers shortly before the fight. Detectives located the BMW vehicle on 21 October 2017.
On 22 October 2017, Islam’s solicitor contacted police to say Islam would hand himself in. Islam was arrested on 23 October 2017 and charged the following day.
Patel was charged on 3 November 2017 in relation to the 16-year-old stabbed.
Detective Sergeant Perry Benton, who led the investigation, said: “It appears that Islam was not involved in the initial fight which Titu was a part of, but he took it upon himself to casually arm himself with a baseball bat and carry out an alarming, sudden attack on Titu which resulted in a critical head injury from which he could not recover.
“Patel was identified as the person who stabbed the 16-year-old victim who fortunately did not suffer serious, lasting injury. The motive for this attack is unclear, although we believe it may have been due to a disagreement between Patel and a relative of the victim.
“This was a despicable show of violence in broad daylight on a residential street which resulted in a man dead and a young victim stabbed, and two people now facing long jail terms for their part in this incident.”

Shabina Patel, Titu Miah’s wife, said: “Losing my husband has left me in a place where I am barely coping. I am heavily depressed and am still struggling to sleep and eat since it happened.
“This loss is something I cannot have prepared for and is mentally really straining. Especially as I did not imagine him to pass away at a young healthy age by getting attacked. This has highly impacted myself and my family in ways I never expected. After his death, I have been staying with my parents and trying to adjust my life with these circumstances. Six months on, I have only just managed to move myself home with my kids to attempt to carry on with our daily life.
“I can see the huge struggle of not having my husband more day by day as it has severely affected our normal lifestyle. My seven-year-old daughter, was extremely close with her father and it breaks my heart seeing her pain without him here. My husband always ensured our children were happy and they saw him like a friend. Similarly my other son is struggling without his father too. He is going through ongoing eye treatment for his severe eye condition and is lacking motivation and belief without his father by his side.

“Without my husband in my life, sadly I am not sure how I will be able to move on and grieve for my loss properly. We all deeply miss him every day and I am unaware of how much longer I can live like this and how my children can handle any more sadness.”
+ The 16-year-old stabbing victim [arrested on suspicion of violent disorder, and four males arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm were all later released with no further action.