Breaking LONDON

Two men have been jailed for the murder of Michael Boyle in Southwark

Two Men Have Been Jailed For The  Murder Of Michael Boyle In Southwark
two men have been jailed for the murder of michael boyle in southwark 4

Two men have been jailed for the murder of Michael Boyle in Southwark

The defendants appeared at Inner London Crown Court on Friday, 24 August and were sentenced as follows:

Geoffrey Downs, 37 of Grosvenor Terrace, SE5 was sentenced to life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 25 years for the murder.

Derek Green, 48 of Langdale Close, SE17 was given sentenced to two years and three months imprisonment for assisting an offender.

The court heard how on Sunday, 25 February, police were called to the Sir Robert Peel Public House in Langdale Close, SE17.

Mr Boyle, who was from Galashiels in Scotland, was found with a stab wound and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service, where he died on Saturday, 10 March.

A post-mortem examination was held on Thursday, 15 March and gave the cause of death as multiple organ failure and a stab wound to the chest.

Downs was charged on Monday, 26 February with attempted murder, possession of an offensive weapon and common assault.

He was later remanded in custody at the Old Bailey on Monday, 26 March, where the indictment was changed to murder.

He pleaded guilty to the offences of murder and possession of an offensive weapon on Monday, 30 July.

Green was charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice on Tuesday, 13 March.
He later pleaded guilty to assisting an offender.

Detective Sergeant Stuart Reeves from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “Mr Boyle was defenceless when he was attacked by Downs on that fatal morning in February and he tragically later died from his injuries.

“No sentence will make up for the tragic loss that the family and friends of Michael Boyle have, and will continue to endured. We hope that today’s sentences will provide some comfort to Michael’s family and friends”